Monday 21 November 2011

Tonkin Liu


Tonkin Liu are and architecture and company made up of Anna liu and mike Tonkin.
The "singing ringing tree" was commissioned by Burnley council and sits on a hill out side the town. I think it is a very clever idea, and quite elegantly executed, with the shape seeming to mimic a wind swept tree. I think the idea of using nature to create sound is an interesting one, seeming some how more mystical thank Henry dagg's very "invented" instruments. Wind instruments are of course common to many orchestras, yet your never normal see them where there is actually any real wind.
I think this idea of out door musical sculptures is one I will keep in the back of my mind. I have always agreed with henry moore's opinion that sculptures are always best out of doors. It would be finding the balance between the musical and the sculptural elements that would be key.


the wind can also play a harp.


No comments:

Post a Comment