Tuesday 9 November 2010

Joe Sacco (1960-present)

extract from Palestine (2001)

Joe sacco's work interests me as it is this way of exploring and documenting an issue through cartoons which I intend to use in my own work. I think that by using text and drawn image, Sacco is able to be more economical in his work, with the images often setting scenes and establishing characters, thus moving and directing the narrative. This allows for his text to really get down to brass tacs, delivering facts and information.

But what it is that I think really gives this format of comic book front line reporting the edge is the way that the format allows for a much more personal, even emotional recount of events, showing the impact on the real people involved. It is easy to forget the people involved in distant conflict when they are refereed to in articles, or shown in snap shots of photographs; but Sacco's series of drawings I feel that you can understand much more clearly his interpretation of there reactions and feeling about the circumstances.

This semi-gonzo style of recording events interests me, as i feel it allows for a much more clear and transparent recount of things. They say that the camera never lies, but we all know this to be false; where as a sketch may not be accurate, but it can often be more honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment